Wednesday, March 7, 2012

T.A.R.D.I.S., CGC

T.A.R.D.I.S. earned his first title on February 28th, at 7 months old.

He finished his Basic Obediennce Class from IPOC with flying colors, and we happily marched over to take the test. The Canine Good Citizen designation is given by the AKC to dogs who complete a series of 10 tests.

I find this test incredibly important as I would like to continue performing Therapy Dog work with him, as I had with my Delilah and my other boys, before they became just too old to keep performing - and it's the first step for me in his showing career.

The CGC program started in 1989, the CGC Program is designed to reward dogs who have good manners at home and in the community. The Canine Good Citizen Program is a two-part program that stresses responsible pet ownership for owners and basic good manners for dogs. All dogs who pass the 10-step CGC test may receive a certificate from the American Kennel Club. There are a few other benefits too - your homeowner's insurance is more likely to work with you, some hotels will allow you to keep the dog there or potentially wave the pet fee, and it's listed as your dog's first title.

I have put the CGC designation on all of the dogs I own, and will continue to do so. Whether they keep showing or not, the CGC will always follow my dogs name - it's the first step to making sure your dog is a friendly member of society.

No comments:

Post a Comment